Friday, September 18, 2020

Year of Living Dangerously

 The Year of Living Dangerously 

Sept. 17, 2020


I am the first person in Bryan County, OK, to turn my ballot into the Election Board. 


I followed the scattered and various directions on the multiple pieces of paper that came with the ballot, and I’m pretty sure I followed all the directions correctly. I am also sure that many people won’t and their ballots won’t be counted.


Nowhere in the package was there a clear numbered set of instructions on how to do it. They could use lessons on directions from IKEA. They did make it clear that the postmark doesn’t count - it must be received by election day to be counted. With the present Postmaster General of the US doing everything in his power to hobble speedy mail delivery, I suspect many ballots won’t get there on time.


I walked into the Election Board and handed mine to the lady there. She said I was the first one.


I also volunteered to work at a polling place if she needed me. She almost laughed. 


“Yes,” she said. “I sure do. Can you drive to anywhere in the county”


“Yes, I have my own car, and I can go where you need me.”


She said,”I just lost a poll worker yesterday in Colbert. Would that be OK?”


“Sure, not a problem.” I replied. “Did they quit for fear of the COVID virus?”


“No, she died of COVID yesterday. We knew she was sick but thought she was getting better, and then she took a turn for the worse.”


“That is sad. My Schwans food delivery guy got the virus, and missed a delivery while he was home sick, but he got over it in a couple of weeks.”


The lady told me they would have a training session next Friday at 9:30 AM if I still wanted to come.


“I’ll be there, not a problem.” 


Yeah, it’s has a risk, but not so much for me. I know people who are doing it in spite of diabetes, high blood pressure, and other things that increase the chances of death. Some of us old folks still understand the concept of obligation, as well as freedom. 


We are about to lose our freedom, because we have a whole generation of people who only believe in freedom, but reject any notion that something might be required of them in return. 


Not only do they not draft people into the military for service anymore, these kids can’t be bothered to put on a paper mask to protect the people around them. Not just kids, either. 


So, on election day I will be hanging out at the polling place in the little town of Colbert, OK, wearing my mask, keeping as much distance as I can, and doing my part for democracy.


As they say down in this neck of the woods, “Hold my beer!” 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment