Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Creams and Lotions

Creams and Lotions

I thought I was in trouble again! The nurse from Guardian Hospice who was taking care of Carolyn today told me I needed to talk to Rachel. Wonder what I did?

I went down the hall and met Rachel in the hallway. Well, I thought, it must not be too bad—she’s got a little smile on her face. I asked, “What’s up?”

Rachel told me that they had found Carolyn eating some facial cream she had stirred sweetener into, dipping it out with a spoon. They had checked the ingredients and found nothing immediately hazardous to her health, but she did complain of a stomach ache.

Rachel offered to help me go through her stock of creams, lotions, skin moisturizers, etc. and make the room safe again. She told me that the nurses carry such stuff and can apply it if necessary. 

Some of this was useful in Nevada, with its dry, hot desert climate, but down here in southern Oklahoma, I don’t find anything is needed to keep your skin moist.

I told Rachel I thought I could take care of the situation myself. While the nurse was still talking to Carolyn I sneaked into the room and gathered up all the jars of non edibles I could find. I even found one jar of facial makeup that looked like little spanish peanuts. They could have fooled me.

I took a big shopping bag of stuff out to the car. After looking through the bathroom, we even decided to take the large bottle of shampoo that was made with tropical coconut and aloe extract. It smelled delicious, but I don’t think that the sodium lauroamphacetal would be all that nutritious.

After I went back to the room to cuddle Carolyn and sit on the couch together for a while, it occurred to me that maybe I should check the refrigerator, where I usually keep some snacks, like yogurt and fruit cups on hand. Sure enough, they were all gone. Now I felt really bad! Some of this may be my fault.

I told her I was going to the store to buy yogurt, and she smiled. Telling her I would return shortly, I went to the store and bought some yogurt with cherries, and also some fruit cups with tropical fruit and pineapple chunks.

When I got back to her room, we opened a couple of fruit cups and enjoyed a sweet snack before I left. 

We are hoping her mood picks up a little now. She smiled when I told her I’ll be back tomorrow for sure. I left her with one of her father’s special sayings: “You’re stuck with me, Babe! You couldn’t run me off with a bucket of s—t and a mop!”

She giggled. 

I love her so much!





1 comment:

  1. sweet...lol...hang in there. Hugs to u both. Yes she always enjoyed her yogurt. :)

    ReplyDelete