Monday, December 18, 2017

Warning- Mature eyes only.

December 18, 2017

For the last three days Carolyn and I have been sharing a glass of wine at bedtime. It relaxes her, and helps her sleep through the night. We don’t drink much; about 6 oz. or so. She not only relaxes, it seems to make her stronger, and more aware of her surroundings. 

Amazing changes are occurring. I can’t find much in the way of research on this topic. When I was younger and single, I had a Tee shirt with the words, “Candy is Dandy, But Liquor is Quicker!” Truer words have never been printed on a tee shirt. 

Tonight as we sat on the couch sipping wine, she snuggled up next to me, and then threw her leg over mine and asked, “How about we go to bed?”

No more talk of babies this time. She has become aware of what she wants, and she’s not wasting a lot of time with subtle Freudian suggestions. I think I remember a poem about “the ways of a woman and wine.”

We have always enjoyed a vibrant and mutually satisfying sex life, but after some bad experiences about six months ago, I had held back, not wanting to cause her any confusion or embarrassment. The last time she forgot who I was about halfway through, and panicked. Made me feel like a rapist. I don’t want to repeat that scene.

I told her I have to get some things first, like condoms to prevent UTIs. So I begged off until later. I also might go out to Mimi’s Toy Box south of town and get some battery powered help, just in case. I have no idea how well her erogenous zone neurons still work. Of course, the biggest erogenous zone is the brain, and evidently there is activity going on there.

The Alzheimer’s Society of the UK actually has a good article on Alzheimer’s and sexuality, but it mostly deals with the loss of sex and how a caregiver can cope. I already know about that. Eccl. 9:10.

The issue of hygiene also presents itself, but that doesn’t bother me, either. I have showered her before, and in our younger days we took showers together often, invariably leading to other enjoyable activities besides washing.

So wish me well. I will be exploring an area of Alzheimer’s caregiving that isn’t much discussed in group therapy sessions. I seem to be the only male spouse with a wife deeply into dementia.

If the door to 304 is locked, don’t get out the key right away, especially if happy sounds are heard inside.


No comments:

Post a Comment