Thursday, January 11, 2018

New drug schedule

This morning they changed Carolyn’s medical regimen again. She had gotten tolerant of the Haldol, and was awake and alert in the mornings and afternoons. But she was still having pain from that broken pelvis, and her persistent attempts to get up and walk were preventing the break from healing, I think.

She has been getting Tramadol on an as needed basis, and since she seldom complains, she wasn’t getting it very often.

Today they decided to give her Tramadol on the same morning and evening basis as the Haldol. The combination has really wiped her out. She has been deeply sleeping all morning, and she didn’t look capable of sitting up for lunch, so she is going to continue her sleep, and when she comes awake later, I’ll give her some Ensure, or yogurt, or what ever else I have in the fridge.

The really good part is she is not moving around, and not in any pain, and possibly the pelvis will have a chance to heal before she adapts to the new drug combination and becomes more active again.

Her heart rate and oxygen levels are normal (I’m checking them obsessively) and she looks very comfortable for the first time in days. I’ll leave it up to the hospice nurses if they want to try to give her a bath this afternoon. I think one of them may have to hold her up on the shower chair for the bath.

For the first time in a while, my morning has been relaxing and restful, without having to guard her from trying to get up and go someplace, a place she doesn’t know and can’t tell me, but wants to go there anyway. I usually wheel her around the hallways several times a day just to let her get out of the room. But not today.

If she continues to sleep this deep, there won’t be any wine this afternoon. She has plenty enough medicine reactions with what she is taking now. 

I may get a chance to slip out and goto the store and buy some things, and maybe get back to the house and move my washing to the dryer. Just about ran out of socks and underwear. I’ve been spending most of every day with Carolyn for the last week and a half. Never realized how tiring it is to just sit and guard somebody. Of course, my emotional attachment doesn’t help. It’s hard to be dispassionate when it’s the person you’ve lived with and loved for forty nine years.

Our son Wes and his family are coming to visit at the end of the month, and I’m hoping she is back to alert and awake and with her pelvis healed back to one piece by then. 

It’s 12:30 and she just opened her eyes and said something, but I didn’t catch what it was. I'd better go see to her.


That’s all for now. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment